Thursday, July 15, 2010

I just posted this as my fb status.

My heart is still pounding. After I updated my status about the power I went to sleep, Lincoln went out to a movie and I complained about it. I told him that when the power came back on that I would have to wake back up and turn off all the lights in the house. I FORGOT ABOUT THE STOVE! I woke up to an awful burning smell just now. I was boiling some fresh corn I had picked up from a farm stand today, when the power went out. I thought about the oven turning back on, (I was roasting tomatoes and zucchini with fresh basil and mozzarella at the same time) but not the stove top.

When the stove come back on it boiled the remaining water in the pot dry, and when I found it -the pot was black, smoking, and popping. I am so thankful that the horrible smell woke me up!
I had complained about the house getting hot - with no power the AC was off.
--- I won't complain about a hot house, as long as I still have one! That was a close one!

9 comments:

Cami said...

Oh my!! I'm so glad you're not burned down. No more fires for you!

Jenni said...

Oh no!! Scary. I'm so glad you woke up!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH JERI!!

you are one lucky mommy..
you had angels for sure!! :)

Barbara said...

Oh, scary! I always worry about things like that happening with power outages. Glad everyone was safe!

Jann said...

That is crazy. I am so glad you still have a house.

Holly said...

That is super spooky! I remember when our gas fire place was defective and my brother turned it on, but flames did not come, it just kept spilling natural gas into the house. He turned it on at 10:00 a.m. and didn't go back downstairs. When I came home at 4:00 p.m., I thought the rotton egg smell was my Grandma's meatloaf (my grandparents were babysitting us while my parents were on vacation in hawaii). We had dinner and then we all started to feel tired. I felt like I should go downstairs. The gas was so thick it looked like the road does on a road trip through the dessert when the air ahead is wavy. I turned the gas off and we all went outside for fresh air. It took days to air out the house completely. My parents smelled the gas immediately when they returned home from their trip 5 days later. The crazy thing is, my Grandma was about to light a candle to help the house smell better after her meatloaf dinner.....

Holly said...

true story

Jeri said...

Holly! How old were you? I don't think I would have known it was the gas as a child--or even a teenager! Good thing it turned out fine in the end.

Holly said...

14 or so, and the truth is, I wouldn't have known it was gas, but I could hear that it was on, and the air was so crazy. I for sure didn't understand the weight of the situation until it was explained to me after the fact.